Who We Are
Camp Good Mourning! is Long Island's ONLY nonprofit organization that provides FREE, overnight, weekend bereavement camp programs for children, ages 7-17, who are coping with the loss of a parent/guardian, and/or sibling.
What We Do
Camp Good Mourning! supports, educates, and empowers grieving Long Island children in a traditional summer camp setting . . . with something EXTRA SPECIAL called "Pow Wows"!
Where We Do It
Camp Good Mourning! is tentatively taking place on the beautiful, bucolic shore of Camp Quinipet on Shelter Island. Located between the north and south forks of Long Island, visitors say that the 10-minute ferry ride from the mainland gives them the feeling of leaving all their troubles behind.
When We Do It
Camp Good Mourning! offers these FREE fun-filled programs in the SPRING and FALL seasons because we understand that grieving is not limited to the summer months.
How We Do it
Through the generosity of compassionate and giving friends, and hundreds of dedicated, enthusiastic, and thoroughly trained volunteers . . . like YOU!
Why We Do It
• 1 in 7 Americans will lose a parent or sibling by the age of 20.
• In a study of 11 – 16 year olds, 78% stated that at least one of their close relatives or friends have passed away.
• 7 in 10 teachers (69%) currently have at least one student in their class who has lost a parent, guardian, sibling or close friend
• 75% say the pervading emotion they currently feel is sadness, with feeling angry, alone, overwhelmed, and worried being the top other emotions
• Teachers report that students who have lost a parent or guardian typically exhibit:
- difficulty concentrating (87%)
- withdrawal/disengagement and less participation (82%)
- absenteeism (72%)
- decrease in work quality (68%)
- less reliable as it pertains to schoolwork (66%)
According to grieving children, the following three activities are instrumental when coping with the loss of a loved one:
Going to a grief group
Meeting other grieving kids
Making new friends
Camp Good Mourning! provides campers with ALL THREE OPPORTUNITIES during a jam-packed weekend of fun and healing!