Who We Are
Camp Good Mourning! is Long Island's ONLY 501c3 nonprofit organization that provides FREE, overnight, weekend bereavement camp programs for children, ages 7-17, who are coping with the loss of a parent/guardian, and/or sibling.
What We Do
Camp Good Mourning! supports, educates, and empowers grieving Long Island children in a traditional summer camp setting . . . with something EXTRA SPECIAL . . . the ability to connect with other kids who have also experienced the death of a parent and/or sibling"!
Where We Do It
Camp Good Mourning! has chosen
Camp Pa-Qua-Tuck as its Long Island home for its Spring and Fall 2021 programs. Located in Center Moriches, on the south shore of LI, Camp Pa-Qua-Tuck is owned and operated by the
Nothing pleases us more than to be associated with an organization whose motto is, "Service above self."
When We Do It
Camp Good Mourning! offers these FREE fun-filled programs in the SPRING and FALL seasons because we understand that grieving is not limited to the summer months.
How We Do it
Through the generosity of compassionate and giving friends, and hundreds of dedicated, enthusiastic, and thoroughly trained volunteers . . . like YOU!
Why We Do It
• 1 in 7 Americans will lose a parent or sibling by the age of 20.
• In a study of 11 – 16 year olds, 78% stated that at least one of their close relatives or friends have passed away.
• 7 in 10 teachers (69%) currently have at least one student in their class who has lost a parent, guardian, sibling or close friend
• 75% say the pervading emotion they currently feel is sadness, with feeling angry, alone, overwhelmed, and worried being the top other emotions
• Teachers report that students who have lost a parent or guardian typically exhibit:
- difficulty concentrating (87%)
- withdrawal/disengagement and less participation (82%)
- absenteeism (72%)
- decrease in work quality (68%)
- less reliable as it pertains to schoolwork (66%)
According to grieving children, the following three activities are instrumental when coping with the loss of a loved one:
Going to a grief group
Meeting other grieving kids
Making new friends
Camp Good Mourning! provides campers with ALL THREE OPPORTUNITIES during a jam-packed weekend of fun and healing!